Exploring the Question:
"What is a Mystical Experience?"
* William James: "The Varieties of Religious Experience" and "A Suggestion about Mysticism"
* Arthur Deikman: "Deautomatization and the Mystic Experience" and "Bimodal Consciousness and the Mystic Experience"
* Andrew Greeley: "Ecstasy - A Way of Knowing"
* Abraham Maslow: "Religious Aspects of Peak-Experiences"
* Kenneth Wapnick: "Mysticism and Schizophrenia"
* David Lukoff: "The Diagnosis of Mystical Experience With Psychotic Features"
* Robert Ornstein: "The Psychology of Consciousness"
* Ralph Hood: "The Construction and Preliminary Validation of a Measure of Mystical Experience"
Mysticism, Mental Health, and Literature:
* Schizophrenia & Mysticism (Bibliographic Essay)
* Annie Dillard: Mysticism of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (Essay)
(Written with the assistance of Th. Emil Homerin, Professor and Chair,
University of Rochester Department of Religion and Classics.)
HOME to MEROVENCE